Frequently Asked Questions
The council provides a quotation and construction service if you need to drop the kerb outside your property for the purposes of access to your land or driveway. Permission is required from the council in order for you to construct this crossing. If the property is rented (e.g. from New Charter Housing or Housing Association) their permission to take a vehicle into the garden will also be required.

Do I need a dropped kerb?
If you intend to drive a vehicle over the footway into your driveway off a highway, then you will need a dropped kerb. If you do not have dropped kerb, you must not drive over the footway. If you do so, you are breaking the law and enforcement action could be taken to prevent such practice. Furthermore:

You may become liable from a collision with a pedestrian
You may become liable for damage to the footway
You may face considerable costs as a result of damage to any utility apparatus under the footway


How do I apply for a quotation?
Contact VXO and we will complete the on line request for you and get a quotation.

Following your request a member of the VXO team will contact you providing a customer reference number.

Quotations are FREE

VXO will attend site and record measurements and take photographs of the existing footway outside your property. Within the following 10 days a quotation will be sent via email (if provided) or through the post to the address given,


How much will it cost?
The cost depends on the area of the footpath used to access the driveway.

Only thing you pay for is the 171 road licence fee of £262.50
And then the works price once we have carried out the work


Do I need planning consent?
Before submitting a request for a quotation you must ascertain whether the road is:

Trunk Road
Principal Road
Classified Roads - Class 1 or Class 2
Please check with VXO via the contact page.


If the vehicle crossing is to be positioned on a Principal road or Classified road then planning permission must be obtained through the planning department. There is a charge for this service.

‘Please Note’ Unadopted roads or Unclassified roads may have Land Easements, Rights of Way, Land Title or Ownership issues. TMBC will not be held responsible in full or part for any land or ownership issues/contraventions before or after installation.
The occupier/resident takes full responsibility for the instruction given to install.
Please consult VXO to clarify the above.


Can I be refused a crossing?
You can be refused a crossing installation and reasons can be individual to that location.
The points below may prohibit or offer guidance to a proposed dropped crossing:

Your property is on a bend or at a road junction
A tree is in the proposed crossing
Street furniture or a street lamp may impede access
Your property is close to traffic signals
There is a steep slope between your property and the road
There is insufficient garden area
There is insufficient visibility
If your application is refused you will receive a letter stating the reasons why and you have a right to appeal to:

The Secretary of State
Planning Inspectorate
Tollgate House
Houlton Street